Thursday, March 22, 2012

Upcycled Wine Bottles - Getting Those Labels Off!

Ever looked at someone's upcycled wine bottle vase, or cut bottles made into glasses and thought 'Hey, I could do that!' So you save up some bottles, and one day you bring them out, ready to make something. You take them over to the sink to peel off the label and.... two hours later find yourself still peeling. I've been there, and I've tried everything to get the labels off. From using Goof Off, to hot water, to steaming the label, but none of these seem to work 100% of the time. Today I thought I'd show you how I get labels off of everything.

My secret is:


Yup, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, or any other brand of melamine foam cleaning sponge. Here's how I clean my bottles.

I get out a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge,

Front
Spend a few seconds peeling off what I can off the label,

Back
Then I fill up the sink,

And run the label under the water.

Then I scrape the label with my thumb to get down to the glue.

This also gives more surface area for the sponge to reach.

Get the Magic Eraser wet,

And wash the label area, using pressure to get the glue off.

When finished before draining the sink clean all the label gunk out.

The label.

The bottle will be all clean! It takes about 2 minutes per bottle.

It will use up the sponge quite quickly, but it saves so much time peeling labels
that it's worth it for me to buy the sponges.

I hope this helps you complete your wine bottle project!

2 comments:

  1. too long...just fill the bottle with hot water...let sit for one minute...or not...scrape the label off with a razor blade. If wide label, maybe score it to size and glide your razor blade several times. Plus your bottle is rinsed out.

    ReplyDelete